How C-suite executives should work with executive recruiters while on a Job Hunt?
Working with executive recruiters is one of the primary ways senior executives can land up with the next wave of challenging opportunities. We are sharing some tips/action plan on working with executive recruiters which can help you land with the next executive role/BOD position:
- Match your skills & industry with their expertise for best results- Although top rated & big executive recruiting firms work for most industries.
- Do not worry about geographical location. Executive recruiters are industry specialists & have clients everywhere.
- Send them your resume in PDF format. They may ask for a word version or ask to upload your resume in their database or fill up an online form
- Hoping on call with an executive recruiter will take time but it will be worth it. Ask for someone specific or recruiter responsible/taking care of your industry( for example recruiter taking care of automotive, operations, finance, healthcare etc..). Have what you want to say written. In case you are doing a confidential search, have a call with them before submitting/uploading your resume. So your call conversation should be like this:
“ Hi this is — -( your name) & i am — (current role). I am calling to introduce myself. I am in a career transition( tell them if your career transition is confidential) & wanted to reach out to you since you specialise in my industry. May I send you my resume. I would welcome a conversation if you feel I may be a good match for any of your searches”
In case you have submitted/uploaded your resume
“ Hi this is — -. I have submitted my resume last week & wanted to follow up with a phone call to briefly introduce myself & to find out if you have any open searches in the — industry that I might be a good potential candidate for”
- Figure out what motivates recruiters to pitch you their best client company job openings.
- Be the candidate that matched the industry & position they have published. Check out my blog which details how you can align resume with your job role.
- You should know interview skills so that they do not have to train you.Rehearse your interviews to know what right & wrong things to say are. Speak to the recruiter professionally even if you are friends with the recruiter. The recruiter is not working for you. They are working for the company. To know more about interview techniques, please check my blog.
PS: Originally published on www.thesushantkumar.com