With Coronavirus swirling around the world, more & more fitness fanatics are looking for solutions to stay healthy & fit while at home either
- Practicing self quarantine.
- Working from their apartment & avoiding the gym
- Prefer to stay indoors.
Whatever the reason might be, you are right place.We have had incredible success in training fitness folks with no gym workout through our calisthenics powered one to one live training program.
I am going to share a practical guide on how to stay healthy & fit even when you are at home.
So how do we start? First step is the acceptance that this is the new normal & that the 80% nutrition-workout love still holds true.
The most important thing you can do while at home is focus on nutrition!
We generally would have apprehension about working out at home & who the hell cares about what we eat anyways! This is exactly reverse of what we should be thinking. Whether you work from home to drive to office everyday, what & how much you eat will impact your fitness level.
So if you are stocking up your kitchen or pantry with food, make sure that your choice aligns with your fitness goals. Please follow the following
- Use of daily calorie calculator to learn how much calories you should consume each day based on your fitness goals
- Learn about portion sizes: If you are largely eating meals composed of rice, pasta, oatmeal, cereal, etc. during your quarantine, it’s important to know the correct portion sizes. These are the foods you can accidentally overeat Ideally you should have small meals more frequently( 5 to 6 times a day) rather having big meals( 2 to 3 times day)
- Your diet: Please adopt the following
- Diet should have high consumption of protein, healthy fats & fibre.
- Carbohydrates should be complex one & should be consumed in moderation.
- Have more fruits & vegetables in your diet-50% of your lunch/afternoon meal should consist of vegetables since they are nutrient dense
- Breakfast should constitute of 50% of total daily calorie consumption
- Your dinner should be rich in protein & fibre & should not have carbohydrates
Workout at home can be challenging if you have a habit of working out at the gym using all fancy equipment. Nevertheless, workout using your body weights will have the same impact as gym weights would have. We train our clients using calisthenics which do not require gym weights & fancy equipment.
Here are list of some workout you can do at home:
- Beginner workout( 3 circuits)
- Body weight squats-25 reps
- Push ups-20 reps
- Walking Lunges-15 reps
- Jumping Jack-30 reps
- Planks-60 to 90 seconds
- Mountain Climb-15 reps
These exercises are perfect to kickstart your fitness journey. However if these are easy for you, consider doing the advanced bodyweight workout
- Advanced bodyweight workout
- 10 One-Legged Squats — each side
- 20 Bodyweight Squats
- 20 Walking Lunges (10 each leg)
- 20 Jump Step-Ups (10 each leg)
- 10 Chin-Ups (or inverted bodyweight rows with an underhand grip)
- 10 Push-Ups
- 2 minutes Second Plank
- Strength & Resistance Training workout: Doing strength training challenges your muscles more & more with each workout. This can be done with your body weight( without any gym equipment) from the comfort of your home. This becomes super convenient during times of Coronavirus Pandemic. The trick is picking an exercise for each major muscle group and making it more challenging as you begin to grow strength and muscle. Pick up the following muscle group each day
- Lower body-Squats, Sumo Squats
- Upper Body-Push- standard pushups, diamond push ups, decline pushups
- Upper Body-Pull- Door Frame rows
- Core- Abs, crunches
To know about exercises for each muscle group in detail, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org & join our fitness community here.We will be happy to curate a workout plan for you. There’s a benefit to doing one of these bodyweight exercises every single day. Not only will you build muscle, but training can also remind us that we are trying to be healthy.
NEAT exercise: Remember to keep moving every 2 hours. Instead of driving to buy groceries consider walking to the supermarket to buy groceries or taking your pet for walk in the evening. To know more about NEAT exercise, check out our blog.
PS: Originally published on www.thesushantkumar.com