Obesity- the biggest epidemic that has plagued busy professionals, is a major risk for type 2 diabetes. However it is important to note that those suffering from type2 diabetes does not necessarily struggle with maintaining a healthy weight & not all the people who are carrying fat around the body organs develop diabetes.
Fat deposits around the liver & pancreas is what inhibits insulin secretion. However, there is a solution to overcoming this syndrome. Insulin sensitivity & resistance can be improved & even reversed through genetically aligned nutrition & workout. Environmental & lifestyle factors such as high BMI(>25) & sedentary lifestyle are not the only risk factors for type 2 diabetes. Your genetics, age, high blood pressure, polycystic ovarian syndrome & abnormal cholesterol & triglyceride levels also influence whether you will suffer from type 2 diabetes during lifetime.
Type 2 diabetes is considered to be a long term metabolic & inflammatory disorder triggered by disordered & reduced metabolism. There are anti-inflammatory foods such as whole grains, green veggies & fibrous foods that can improve your health, promote weight loss & reduce occurrence of chronic diseases such as heart disease, hypertension & kidney failure.
For someone suffering from type 2 diabetes, over a period of time, the ability of pancreas to release insulin gets impacted. When someone suffers from insulin resistance, a proper nutrition & workout sometimes is not enough to reverse this dreaded disease. Oral medication or insulin doses are often prescribed by healthcare providers. However, it is important to note that type 2 diabetes is a reversible metabolic state. With renewed effort & commitment, the complication of disease can be reduced & even reversed. Having said this, please note that some people may do “ everything right” to do away with this dreaded disease but still would still require medication.
Those suffering from type 2 diabetes or even pre-diabetes, the biggest way to overcome this syndrome is weight loss. Losing even 5 % to 10% of body weight can help improve your blood sugar levels. Weight losing & managing an active lifestyle can help you reverse type 2 diabetes.
Anyone who has struggled from weight loss understands the importance of calorie in & calorie out. It is inaccurate to assume that obesity is the reason for attracting type 2 diabetes. Although overweight or obese clearly increases your risk for type 2 diabetes, it is not the only factor for attracting this dreaded disease.
Obesity paradox clearly depicts the flaws in assumption that fats are equal to unhealthy. People with normal weight suffering from type 2 diabetes have high risk of attracting cardiovascular disease as compared to those who are overweight. Obesity stigma is prevalent phenomenon in healthcare sector & it was found that overweight obese are less likely to access healthcare services.
First step towards a balanced approach to weight loss is to better understand how genetic makeup of an individual suffering from diabetes regardless of age may make losing weight challenging. Besides weight loss, the following factors should be considered to overcome type 2 diabetes:
- Control your hypoglycemia: Consume smaller & frequent low carb meals & check your blood sugar level at regular intervals to prevent low blood sugar
- Get sufficient sleep: Getting adequate sleep on a daily basis can help you improve your metabolism
- Role of medication in weight loss: Connect with your healthcare provider to understand how your medication will assist in weight loss considering that antibiotics & other medication do have an impact on your gut health.
- Track your thyroid: It is important to note that hypothyroidism can make weight loss tough. Therefore if you are susceptible to hypothyroidism, your diet should be aligned with your genetic insights on thyroid from your DNA testing report to keep the weight gain at bay.
- Prevent eating out: Portion sizes when eating out is pretty large as compared to recommending serving portions. Even if you are eating out, try to eat mindfully & consider preventing saturated fat & refined carb consumption.
- Enjoy your exercise: Your workout should not be a torture. Find ways to enjoy your workout by indulging in activities such as 10,000 steps a day, cardio workout, jogging or yoga. Some of these exercises are also included in employer sponsored wellness programs that make you accountable for managing your weight.
- Reduce alcohol consumption: Alcohol offer lot of calories & you should aim at reducing the alcohol consumption specifically when you have high genetic risk to alcohol consumption.
Discover your personal traits & learn about your genetic predisposition to type 2 diabetes Our solution will help you avoid a standard approach to fitness. By subscribing to our membership & preventive health programs, you will not only receive information about genetic response to nutrition & fitness but also be coached by an international fitness coach who will cover both genetics powered nutrition & exercise aspects of the program that will help you improve your health, meet your weight loss goals & overcome risk of diabetes.. Sign up for our membership here or download our mobile application here
Originally published at https://thesushantkumar.com on December 14, 2020.