Tips for creating celebrity footprint in the industry
When you are at the executive level of your career, you should strive to create a celebrity status for yourself. Self marketing in your area of expertise can offer you numerous benefits such as:
- Establishing yourself as an expert in the industry
- Opening up avenues for your future dream positions- prospective employers contact you
- Broaden your network
- Better control on what you work & who you work with
- Get positive references
These points would be meaningful & give you a winning edge when you manage your career keeping these potential benefits in consideration. How do you build that celebrity status? Check out these tips:
- Build a platform/personal website: It is super important & easy to build a platform where you can write & publish content & blogs in the area of your expertise. WordPress is free & easy to set up. Going one step further, you can build your own website where you can publish your content, white papers & books you have written, consulting projects or any other assignments you have undertaken. Besides you can also publish your blogs & content on LinkedIn pulse. Given that LinkedIn is a professional networking site, it is a perfect place to share news, insights & expertise. You can also subscribe to groups to answer questions asked by various business persons on various topics. This is the perfect way to build your professional brand.
- Collaborate with high performers in the Industry: Get involved in volunteer groups or industry associations. These are two excellent platforms subscribed by various professionals & executives who care about industry & issues. This will have two fold benefits for you- expanding your network & giving you opportunity to leverage & grow your career. If you attend an industry event or speak series, make sure you introduce yourself after the presentation. Exchange your business cards. These are small things but open up new avenues for future opportunities, networking friendship which will be beneficial in the long run.
- Augment your knowledge base: When was the last certification you received? Are you currently undergoing a skill based training? I suggest you indulge into 2 to 3 actions/training that help you enhance your skills. Enroll for one training or certification that has been into a knowledge enhancement plan for quite some time now. Besides also check with your current employer’s training & development policy & ongoing benefits if your training can be a sponsored /covered expense.
Developing a celebrity footprint doesn’t mean you need to have or develop an ego. It’s a wise business move that opens more avenues. You will be excited to learn how connecting these small dots will make positive changes in your career moves.
PS: Originally published on www.thesushantkumar.com